Yesterday I called local Cedar Rapids bike shops looking for a new front pannier as I have one that leaks, and we certainly have the rain to test it! I was talking to Stacie and mentioned my trip from Indy. Stacie then asked me, “Are you biking across country and possibly to Alaska?”
See Mark’s update on finding an open campsite and state park.
Today I biked from Bennett’s park in Bennet, IA, to Cedar Rapids. Only about 52 miles but definitely getting tired not to mention 2000 ft of climbing.
This area is fabulous due to rolling hills and bike paths connecting local communities from Solon to Cedar Rapids and to tomorrow’s location of Waterloo. True biking community.
Is insanity when you swim cross current to the norm? Or is it when you chase an audacious goal that requires great preparation and sacrifice? Would you consider quitting a great job to chase a dream, insane?
If so, I may be insane.
“Jane!” Mark said. “Go back up the hill!”
We had been goofing around down at the Shoshoni River’s edge in Rex Hale Campground in Wyoming just outside of Yellowstone. Mark was perched crazily on a big rock, and I was just getting ready to snap his picture when he yelled to me.
Here’s a quick update from the beat up cyclist:
- So far I have done 320 miles and about to leave Florida
- I have discovered that touring on a bike is far different than my typical 25 mile ride/sprint of past
- Since I ride 50 to 75 miles per day I have to really pace it. Slow down an stay out of red zone
- Saddle sores are a constant pain in the backside…do you ever adjust? Lots of hurt here
- And then camp life takes lots of energy. Jane does incredible job of setting up every day but I still pitch in
Ok, enough whining.
Time to just go kick up some dust!